Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possibility of Su-35 for Egypt

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/Print/3586.aspx

Interesting! Egypt should definitely go for it. The problem, as always, is money. Al-Sissi should pressure his saudi friends to make a really major commitment on Egypt's behalf--really shell out for weapons like the SU-35 as well as economic aid.

Comment

That's surprising. How likely is it with Egypt being in the American sphere of influence?

Comment

They realized a long time ago that being under the US sphere of influence has great economic benefits, but seriously limits their military capabilities so as not to offend the US's other special friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonjeeshk View Post
          That's surprising. How likely is it with Egypt being in the American sphere of influence?

Next to imposible....They should use their heads and figure out a way of getting alternate sources of funding either from rich gulf states or if at all possible, their own independent source. Maybe if Hifter and the Islamists destroy one another Libya will be ripe for the taking.

Comment

Originally posted by Behrooz Boonabi
            I think it is a great idea, but I don't think Russia and Egypt have that kind of relationship at this point.
            No, but the Ukraine crisis means a widening gulf between Russia and the West, in which Russia has less incentive to accept US dictates. As for Egypt, basically it's in the US camp only because it needs the aid. Maybe, in a new era of rivalry with the West, Russia could give weapons on easy credit terms just to expand its influence as it did in Soviet days.

They would fear that their cutting edge technology will fall directly in US hands.
            Egypt did give MIG-23s to the US, after relations with Russia soured in the late '70s, but it could give US F-16s to Russia as part of a deal to acquire SU-35s.

It could happen, but not right now in the very near future.
            Right not in the VERY near future.

Comment

Wouldn't Egypt need a change of government, in order to do that?

Comment

Wouldn't Egypt need a change of government, in order to do that?
                Dunno....maybe just an altered political landscape. Sadat was capable of abrupt changes in policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Behrooz Boonabi

But this isn't Sadat. Sisi seems to be more like Mubarak 2 at this point.
                  Yeah the key difference between past leadership (i.e. '50s to '70s) and what we've seen more recently is that the former--for better or worse--was more activist with regard to foreign or regional policy. Mubarak seemed content to just sit on his butt for 30 years. El-Sissi may be the same but in 1970, not many people thought Sadat capable of surviving let alone shaking up the region. Kerry just arrived in Cairo to lecture its leadership to be more lenient, while not releasing AFAIK, hundreds of millions in aid. I don't think el-Sissi was delighted. If the US presses Egypt in ways it doesn't like and links that to aid, it's asking for a break and reorientation, regardless of el-Sissi's original intentions.
                  Also, given the disastrous failure of the US in in Iraq and possible failure in Afghanistan, Mideast leaders may reassess the value of close ties with Washington.,
                  Last edited by starman; 06-23-2014, 11:02 AM. Reason: Add something.

Comment

http://www.middleeastdefence.net/for...=1292#post1292

Comment

Will the Su-35 sale happen now?

Comment

Will the Su-35 sale happen now?

I think it can happen very soon given the US/Russia relationships current level.

However, the aircraft delivery date for the Su-35 might be out aways. Russia can barely meet its own needs given the current production rate. But I hope they expand their facilities soon as I think they could get allot of orders in the near future. By expanding their military industry, they can overcome the pitfalls of their economy that is under attack.

Comment

How does the SU-35 compare with the F-35s Israel has been getting?

Comment

Only one way to find out.

One thing to remember, designers have reached the limits of performance on aircraft. All modern aircraft will perform at a level beyond what the pilot can handle. Computers are used to help control the aircraft to a level where the pilot won't pass out.
                            The difference is in the electronics. The ability to detect and track, and mask your location. Picking up an aircraft on radar isn't neccessarily where the aircraft is. I would give the Israelis the edge in this.

Comment

• Behrooz Boonabi
                              Behrooz Boonabi commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I have thought about this comment for a while. I remember the war on Serbia when Russia was paid to knock out the initial strikes in the beginning. Russia was broke at the time. I think this was for a military reason.

The worlds second largest producer of arms isn't second best at everything.

Egypt acquiring Su-35s would be a concern for the zionist occupation. How would they react?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X